For legal purposes the provider of this website is the Alfred Wegener Institute, Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research (AWI).
für Polar- und Meeresforschung
Am Handelshafen 12
Tel.: +49 (0)471 4831-0
Fax: +49 (0)471 4831-1149
Das Alfred-Wegener-Institut ist eine Stiftung des öffentlichen Rechts. Das AWI ist Mitglied der Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft Deutscher Forschungszentren e.V.
The Alfred Wegener Institute is legally represented by its Directorate:
Prof. Dr. Antje Boetius (Director)
Dr. Karsten Wurr (Administrative Director)
VAT identification number according to § 27a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 114707273
Responsible for journalistic-editorial contents according to iSd. § 55 II RStV:
Ralf Röchert (Head of Communication and Media)
Rights of use
The Alfred Wegener Institute authorises the following private use of images on this website:
- copying the images to your private computer
- the printing of images for private archiving or decoration purposes
- the forwarding of the images to friends and family, together with reference to their origin, mention of the copyright notice and reference to the purely private use requirement.
- The images used illustrate contributions about the work of the Alfred Wegener Institute.
- The complete copyright notice is named as deposited in the metadata (IPTC data), i.e. in the form "Alfred-Wegener-Institute/Surname, first name" - the short form "AWI/Surname " may only be used if the full name of the institute is mentioned together with the abbreviation in the article.
Images under a Creative Commons license may be used according to the license used.
In general, the Alfred Wegener Institute does not grant permission to use images on this website for the following purposes:
- Advertising, design of advertisements, commercials etc.
- Sale of products in which the focus is on images (T-shirts, coffee cups, large prints)
- Sale of digital copies of image data.
No liability is assumed for completeness, editorial and technical errors, topicality, omissions, etc., or the accuracy of the content, unless the author can be proven to have acted with intent or gross negligence.
Last update: 30.07.2019